13 January 2011

Engine Block Chess

For this next edition of Top eBay Chess Items by Price, I didn't want to feature another chess set just after the Janos Kadar Chess Set, but I didn't have much else to choose from. The item pictured in the photos was titled 'Audi V8 Engine Block Table and Chess Game'. It's certainly unique.


The description said,

This is a table I made from a spare engine I had. The engine was removed from a 1990 Audi V8 Quattro. The block is aluminum, so it can easily be picked up by one person. The chess game is made from valve train parts from the same engine. I am gauging interest on the idea. If it sells for what I would like I will consider making more.

The item received two bids and sold for US $500. It turns out that both bids were by the same bidder who was apparently trying to find the reserve price. My guess is that the seller will be making more.

No comments: